Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I Could Kick Some Serious Booty With This Talent

As the storm closes in, I feel the elemental power building. With each flash in the night sky, the humming in my head intensifies. The powers that be, flow through me. I raise my outstretched fingers to the heavens and the wind gathers round me. From the stillness rises a breeze that rustles my garments alone. The trees stand quietly motionless while lightening bolts crack in the distance. I know we need rain, I whisper my will of a steady calm, nourishing flow and take in a large breath. As I release the air, my wishes escape with it and the violence recedes and I can't help but think, I could kick some serious booty with this talent.

I’m too tired to hold it off completely and give thanks for the reprieve that will allow me to stay out a little longer.I regret that I must return to the house, my duties and sleep. A thin layer of fog winds it’s way through my small valley, I’m caught in a hypnotic euphoria as my body tugs at it‘s need for the downy pillows awaiting it. The creeping white tide envelopes my Divine Curiosity Shop at the cross roads. I watch as the mist parts for the wandering entity I’ve grown accustomed to sharing my days with. I reach for the flashlight that I left lay on the garden path and step up onto the sitting stone by the catnip patch. I cast a beam on the skulking shadow and as suspected, the light revealed nothing. I began to turn away, combing the south field and saw the movement once again in my peripheral vision where portholes to wondrous places stay just out of reach.

A tall malevolent form relinquished it’s scrutiny of the structure and turned it’s attentions on me, I'm fascinated by the animate pitch stalking through the clover and fescue just above the ground, it‘s direction unquestionable. I flicked the light back on and targeted the intruder. The way he would vanish in the light made me uneasy tonight for some unknown reason. He was there, yet he wasn’t. I contemplated waiting to see if he would interact or simply dissipate in the usual style at my utterance, but the quivering in my gut said this was one full moon I would have to abandon. The gate of the ghostly blackness warned against interaction tonight. I wasn't the only creature seeking meditative solitude. So, this eve, I won’t be the thing in the dark that people fear. I will gracefully bow out and leave it to the otherworldly things that go bump in the nigh’. I will grudgingly give in to caution and return to the warmly lit interior of the farm house and the earthly duties I had hoped to postpone. How I wish I could stay out all night soaking up the power of the lunar goddess in her most voluptuous form.I pluck the moon from the sky with forefinger and thumb, cradle it gently in my cupped hands, then whisper the Gayatri Prayer while pressing it to my bosom.

You who are the sourceOf all power,
Whose rays illuminate the world,
Illuminate also my heart
So that it toCan do your work.

One last look at the familiar inhabitant still headed my way before calling a nocturnal muster of my four legged friends that so love to prowl with me, and I wonder, why I have these attacks of such somber self-restraint and total drama-queen-ness.

9/19/2005 2:12 AM
word count 552

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home