The Phantasm Feline & The Shrieking Crone
The soft rumble sounded like it was in the room. I turned to look around slowly. The sound was getting closer, but I didn't see anything, absolutely anything. I should have turned on the night light before I switched off the lamp, but thought how silly I was being, at 46 years old and developing a fear of the dark, only in my bedroom.
Lately, so many odd things have been happening in there. There's been phantoms, whispers, pitch blobs, glowing clouds, an intelligent orb of bright red and lastly...fairies. How strange my world has become. And I thought I had problems when I had come face to face with the financial destitution. Now I was being harassed all night long by fairy tale creatures and urban legends. It used to be pain, and wondering where I was going to get the money to pay the medical bills that left me lying awake and staring at the ceiling every night. Now I'm afraid I'm going to wake up in a horror movie.
I laid my head on the pillow and reached into the air, fishing for the mysterious feline phantasm. Then a shrieking little voice, from very near my ear asked, "Thinkin' about me?"
I jumped for the light switch and flooded the room with 60 watts. There was nothing. No sign that my visitors had been there. I knew that voice. I'd heard it once before. It was atop a flying beast when it swooped down to buzz me, leaving a breeze in it's wake and it's sharp laughter cutting through my skull. I will never forget it. I couldn't decide if it was a teeny-tiny airborne evil, or a mischievously jolly, and highly entertained diminutive crone on a dragon steed. I was thinking dragon because of the body mass attached to the wings, but now I realize it could have been a flying cat wearing something shiny like chain mail or something. It had a long trailing tail. That might explain why it didn't show itself until I brought Arthur in after his first brush with death. Siamese cats are prone to crossed eyes, Arthur being no exception, managed to bump into a moving car. We figure he tried to dart between the car(s) he thought he saw coming.
I left the light on and eventually got back to sleep...until John got up to go to the can and grumbled at me to turn off the light.
11/1/2005 9:21 PM
word count 396
Lately, so many odd things have been happening in there. There's been phantoms, whispers, pitch blobs, glowing clouds, an intelligent orb of bright red and lastly...fairies. How strange my world has become. And I thought I had problems when I had come face to face with the financial destitution. Now I was being harassed all night long by fairy tale creatures and urban legends. It used to be pain, and wondering where I was going to get the money to pay the medical bills that left me lying awake and staring at the ceiling every night. Now I'm afraid I'm going to wake up in a horror movie.
I laid my head on the pillow and reached into the air, fishing for the mysterious feline phantasm. Then a shrieking little voice, from very near my ear asked, "Thinkin' about me?"
I jumped for the light switch and flooded the room with 60 watts. There was nothing. No sign that my visitors had been there. I knew that voice. I'd heard it once before. It was atop a flying beast when it swooped down to buzz me, leaving a breeze in it's wake and it's sharp laughter cutting through my skull. I will never forget it. I couldn't decide if it was a teeny-tiny airborne evil, or a mischievously jolly, and highly entertained diminutive crone on a dragon steed. I was thinking dragon because of the body mass attached to the wings, but now I realize it could have been a flying cat wearing something shiny like chain mail or something. It had a long trailing tail. That might explain why it didn't show itself until I brought Arthur in after his first brush with death. Siamese cats are prone to crossed eyes, Arthur being no exception, managed to bump into a moving car. We figure he tried to dart between the car(s) he thought he saw coming.
I left the light on and eventually got back to sleep...until John got up to go to the can and grumbled at me to turn off the light.
11/1/2005 9:21 PM
word count 396

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home