Saturday, December 31, 2005

Playing Hide-n-Seek With Unicorns

I have this place I like to go. I go there to rejuvenate, lower my blood pressure and play hide and seek with unicorns. The pathway is made of wide rough hewn slags of amethyst. My foot steps sound different there. The trees lining the path are almost always dropping leaves. They crunch under foot as I slowly make my way to the huge crystal ball at the end of the path. It sits in a large puddle that covers some of the path like a clear purple Koolaid. The orb is the size of a one room cottage. Clear, cool and inviting. I run my hands along the outside feeling for the right occlusion, the one that will let me in. Inside a pale blue fairy holds her palm to mine and smiles. She's telling me it's been too long since my last visit. Suddenly I'm inside. It's a warm ice castle of chalcedony. A maze. Oh how I love to get lost in here. I hear the sound of hooves ringing through the walls. My unicorn is coming to greet me. I always have to feel it. The vibrations, so I lean up against the fantastic rainbows and close my eyes. Something's ringing...ringing.......the phone.

I scold myself for not putting it off the hook. I gently brush my hands across my cherished plaything resting in my lap and rise to set it back on it's stand, where three dragons of polished brass keep it safe for me.

The phone made my whole world dissipate like the dark man does whenever I try to talk to him. It's no wonder I try not to speak when I'm walking in the 'tweens. I learned early, that sound closes doors that aren't meant to be open. So unless I want to remain chained to this reality, I do best to keep my mouth shut AND put the phone off the hook!

An automated voice asks me to call a foreign number, so naturally I plop the thing back down and mutter to myself. I guess I just wasn't meant to play hookie from the house chores today. Not even for a few minutes. It's a good thing that my place is always within reach. It was well worth waiting for. It took two months on a slow boat from China....literally, to receive my coveted ebay prize. The prismatic ball haunted me from the moment I saw it. I had to buy it. Now I know why. I had friends inside.

12/31/2005 11:34 PM
word count 418

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home